Apostles, Qualifications and Duties
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014
Who Are The Apostles?
Since the Creed is called the Apostles’ Creed, we need to first find out who these Apostles were. The word Apostle means one who is sent forth. In Greek, the word is “apostolos” meaning a representative delegate who is entrusted with a mission. Strictly speaking, however, the title of Apostle is reserved only for the twelve disciples called upon by Jesus. However, in a broader sense, it was applied to other eminent Christian teachers such as Barnabas. Act 14:14
Qualifications And Duties Of The Apostles
- Those who directly received the calling by Christ to spread the Gospel of the water and Spirit, Mk 3:13; Lk 6:13; Gal 1:1
- Those who lived with Christ and witnessed His works on earth. The disciples of Jesus Christ were witnesses to the fulfilment of the righteousness of God through Christ’s life. Acts 1:21-22; 1 Cor 9:1
- Those who, being filled by the Holy Spirit, received the power to fulfil the works commanded by Christ. Act 15:28; 1 Cor 2:13; 1 Thess 4:8; 1 John 5:9-12
- Those who were given the power to perform miracles to bear witness to the Gospel of the water and Spirit on this earth. God gave great power to the Apostles so that Jesus Christ may be revealed to them as God the Saviour. Acts 9:14; 2 Cor 12:12; Heb 2:4
- Those who received a special calling as well as special blessings from God. Acts 9:15; 2 Cor 1:1; Gal 2:8
The authority given to the Apostles is the authority to forgive people’s sins. As such, ignoring those who have this authority will lead to one’s destruction. In God’s plan of salvation, the ministries of Jesus were absolutely required. The contents of these ministries were the baptism Jesus received from John, His shouldering of the sins of the world and death on the cross and His resurrection. A promise was made between God and us that He would give the Holy Spirit as a gift to those who believe in this Truth. The Holy Spirit that God gives to those who have been forgiven of their sins is the gift that is permitted only to those who believe in the Gospel of the water and Spirit as originally preached by the Apostles as set by God.